Young men are now more likely to wear beards and it’s more than a trend. Several divers have adopted this look. However, be careful because your beautiful beard could cause you big problems if you do not maintain it properly.
Here are some problems you may encounter:
- Your mask will not close properly, allowing water to drain and cause a lot of discomfort and irritation.
- Saltwater may dry out your beard and cause it to crinkle and frizz.
- The skin around your face may dry out and get burned by salt water and sunlight.
- If you have a pointed beard, it could damage your mask.
- The beard grows badly and you have to shave it.
By applying the tips below, you can protect your beard and enjoy your dive:
Shave the area just under your nose.
It’s great for big mustaches on those who have a top lip big enough that shaving does not compromise their style. If not, try different cutting techniques like shortening your mustache. This is not a simple operation or effective from the first try. But with a thin razor and a little skill, we can easily shave the area just under the nose to leave this place hairless.
Using a fat substance
Another solution is to use a body grease, like lip balm or petrolatum and to coat generously the mustache. The disadvantage, besides having a horrible aftertaste in the mouth after the dive, is that this method does not allow to remove the mask under water. Indeed, the first exercise of this type, the grease protection will disintegrate and, very quickly, the water inlets will start again.
Use a full mask
A face mask provides positive pressure the degree depends on the specific model that helps seal the mask on your face and prevent leakage. It also has some disadvantages: a significant buoyancy according to the model and it is more difficult to make a mask exchange in case of problem.
If you do not dive very often and the growth time of your beard is fast, shaving your beard is the simplest solution.
Taking care of your beard after diving
After your trip at sea, you must take care of your beard to keep it flawless. For this you need to:
- Wash it thoroughly with warm, fresh water to prevent salt from drying on your beard.
- Use proper oil to replenish, moisturize and hydrate the hair and skin of your face.
- As a diver, you have the responsibility to protect the environment. So make sure that all products used to care for your beard are 100% natural and will not cause damage to reefs or marine life.
If you have other tips to share, please let us know in the comments section.